Sunday, February 1, 2009

Game On

I went to the Game On exhibition at the State Library of Queensland this afternoon with the kids and had a wonderful time. It was very crowded when we first arrived, but thinned out quiet quickly. A lot of things I was happy (and surprised!) to see. The biggest shock was Spacewar running on a PDP-1! The Magnavox Odyssey in the hall of consoles was good (but the picture was terrible, the game frozen and the controlled was cracked and broken!). Jeff Minter's Tempest 2000 on an Atari Jaguar! I had a couple of good goes on Katamari Damacy, which was a hoot and good fun. I'd buy it in a shot if there were a cheap, easy and legal way to. Ditto with some of the other Japanese games.

Some striking omissions as well, most notably neither Dragon's Lair or Space Ace, which were Videodisc driven arcade machines, with Don Bluth animation. But there was a wall of production art from Dragon's Lair and a description of the game. Didn't see any Amiga, or a CD32 (or a 3DO now I think about it). I was kind of surprised Qix wasn't in the arcade area.

But enough of me and my relaxing Sunday afternoon with the family.

It's also "Game On" for the Campaign to Put a Green in Greenslops. My Facebook group has attracted a lot of members all of a sudden, so I best get started. I need to update my biography, get new photos, write some flyers and letters, work out numbers for printing, think of some public events and advertise them and lots of stuff I've not thought of yet.

This is going to be a lot of work, but we're going to make a difference this time. In 2009 we are going to turn Greenslopes Greener than it has ever been. If anyone has some time they can spare to help with the campaign, let me know. Talk to me in the comments below or send me an email: putagreeningreenslopes@gmail.com

Game on.

1 Comments:

At March 15, 2009 at 11:48 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I wasn't going to post another comment, but I can't let this pass:

There were Amigas! Well, at least one. I was there on the last day of the exhibition (fortunately), and in one of the corners of the lower level was an Amiga 500 with Lemmings running. Ah, takes me back to my misspent youth...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Authorised by Desi Achilleos, 22 Frith Street South Brisbane